By Modupe Gbadeyanka
On Thursday, November 24, 2016, the Batch B of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) will resume orientation.
Already, their call-up letters have been posted on the NYSC portal for print out.
It is no doubt that some intending corps members get confused on what they should take along to the camp, but Business Post is here to help you solve that problem.
Below is a list of Official NYSC Camp Registration Requirements:
- CALL UP LETTER: This is a vital part of camp registration and the only evidence that you are a prospective corps member and you are not impersonating anyone. This will be taken from and not returned to you.
Tip: DO NOT LAMINATE IT!
- Registration Documents: Foreign graduates should take along important registration documents used in registering at Abuja.
- Final Year Student Identity CARD
- Notification/Statement of Result from School
- PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPHS: This is very important. Take as many as you can, about 20 in red backgrounds. You would need them at every registration point mostly.
- PHOTOCOPIES OF YOUR DOCUMENTS: Now make about 5-10 copies of every document required. There would be photocopiers in camp at mammy market but trust me, it is double the price and it saves time.
Tip: The forms that will be handed to you are very easy to fill. Attach your passport where necessary and fill them correctly. After your registration, you will be issued with your State Code Number. This will be like your PIN throughout your Service Year.
- CERTIFICATES/LICENSES: For Doctors, Pharmacists, Nurses & Lab Scientists, take along your proof of certification.
- STATIONERY: PEN, PAPER, GUM, TIPPEX.
Tip: After getting your NYSC State Code Number, you can proceed to claim your NYSC Kit and Mattress after which you can proceed to get a Room. After you have gotten your kit and secured a place in the hostels. Your NYSC kit should contain 1 NYSC Crested Vest, A pair of Khaki Trousers, Cap and Jacket, 2 White T-shirts, 2 Pairs of Knickers, 2 pairs of green-stripped Stockings, A Pair of Orange Jungle Boots and One Pair of White Converse. A “Belt” is also included.
YOUR DAILY NEEDS:
- ROUND-NECKED WHITE T-SHIRTS: This is an essential outfit in camp in fact in most camps this is the only allowed cloth to be worn throughout your 3 weeks. Even to church, you might not be allowed to wear colour cloths. You would be given 2 pairs of white t-shirts at camp but endevour to bring extra pairs 6, Why? Because you probably won’t have time to wash during the week after being stressed out from the parades and Man-O-War drills.
Tip: Do not carry more than 2 pairs of colour clothes because you won’t need it.
- WHITE SHORTS: I beg you please do bring yours. you would also be given 2 pairs of shorts which are really poor in material. They tear easily and it can be annoying. So my dear Otondos bring like 4 pairs of shorts.
- PLAIN WHITE SNEAKERS/TENNIS SHOES
- WHITE SOCKS: Just get extra pairs.
- MOSQUITO TREATED NET: You would do not want to fall sick in camp from malaria. Just bring yours.
- BASIC DRUGS: Like Panadol or paracetamol, medicine for your allergies, menstrual pain relief drug, nausea relief drugs, antibiotics e.t.c. The camp clinic is sometimes inadequately stocked with drugs so help yourself.
- PADLOCKS: Please lock your boxes and bags to avoid regrets and tears.
- WAIST POUCH: You need it to carry your money, phone, small valuables, pens, etc around with you at all times.
- BEVERAGE: The camp will supply u with “Tea-water” so you can make tea when u need to!
- DETTOL OR ANY DISINFECTANT
- DETERGENT: [BUY from Mammy.] Again, this reduces the amount of load you’re bringing into camp. However, if you’re lucky the mammy market will have vendors offering laundry services! It costs about N50 per item, N100 for your khaki trousers or shirt, extra N50 if you want your items pressed.
Tip: The Bucket: Buy this in Mammy. Don’t stress yourself taking one to Camp, which you’re probably going to leave behind after 3 weeks.
Toiletries: Toilet Paper, Sanitary Pad, soap dish etc. BUY in Mammy.
- A PAIR OF SLIPPERS: [BRING or BUY]
- Bed sheets, Pillow Cases and A Pillow. You could also get pillow from mammy market to reduce load.
- FLASHLIGHT OR RECHARGEABLE LAMPS: [BRING or BUY]
- PLATE, BOWL AND CUP: [BRING or BUY]
- Some form of entertainment: Novels, PSP, chess, iPod or MP3 players
- Your Ray-Ban sunglasses for the sun.
- Get extra phone batter(ies) and extra Network SIMs.
- CASH: Extremely important. You would need about N15,000. Then between N20,000 – N30,000 to be ‘just’ comfortable. For those that can manage, say, N10,000 – N15,000. There are lots of things that take up money. Things like food (for those who don’t intend eating camp food), drinks, recharge cards, charging of phones, laundry, pleasures e.t.c
more recommended stories
NNPC Blames Abia Oil Explosion on Vandals
By Modupe Gbadeyanka The cause of.
Lagos Assembly Scraps Visionscape, Reinstates PSP Operators
By Modupe Gbadeyanka The 20 Local.
Ezekwesili Laments Execution of Hauwa by Boko Haram
By Dipo Olowookere Co-convener of the.
Customs Arrest Five with N35m Contrabands in Kano, Jigawa
By Modupe Gbadeyanka Contrabands worth N35.