The Federal Government has been charged to take urgent actions to secure the release of schoolgirls kidnapped over two years ago by Boko Haram members in Chibok, Borno State.
The Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) group in a statement issued on Sunday also urged the government to treat the video released today by Boko Haram as credible and act straightaway on it.
On Sunday, the terrorists’ group released a video showing some of the girls in the background, some of them looking frightened.
A masked man believed to be one of the commanders of Boko Haram said in the video that they will only free the girls in exchange for their fighters in custody of the Nigerian government.
One of the abducted girls also spoke in the video, begging their parents to beg the FG to yield to the demands of their kidnappers.
“Our parents please exercise patience. We are suffering here. There is no kind of suffering we haven’t seen. Our sisters are injured; some have wounds on their heads and bodies.
“Tell the government to give them their people so we can also come to be with you. We are all children and we don’t know what to do. The suffering is too much, please endeavour as we also have exercised patience.
“There is nothing you, or we can do about this but to get their people back to them, so we can go home. Exercise patience as we also have endured,” the girls, identified as Dorcas Yakubu, said in the 10:33mins long video.
Reacting to the visuals, the BBOG campaign said the government must do something very fast to save the girls.
“Since we last met with the President in January, we have continued to call on him to be responsive to the needs of our Chibok parents, our movement, and the Global Community for timely updates on the rescue operation.
“In the aftermath of an earlier video, we repeatedly called for the Government to treat the information as the missing piece of “credible intelligence” it was seeking. Not even the return of Amina Ali, a #ChibokGirl, inspired the sort of response we demanded.
“After listening to the call of Dorcas Yakubu, we demand an immediate, transparent, action and results-oriented response plan by the Government.
“We state categorically that the excuse of a split within the terrorists’ ranks or a period of validation of the authenticity of their claims will not suffice this time. We shall press these demands with a march to the Villa in the next few days.
“Nothing short of the Nigerian state being in contact with the parents, confirming identities of our girls, providing psychosocial support where necessary, and most importantly, articulating an action plan will be acceptable,” the group said in the statement jointly signed by Aisha Yesufu and Oby Ezekwesili.
The group further said, “Today, 28 months since the abduction, we call on the Governments of the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, China, Australia, Israel, agencies like the United Nations and African Union, and all who previously expressed intentions to support the rescue efforts, to reengage and adopt a strategic rescue position. As global citizens, this is the least our #ChibokGirls deserve.
“We appeal to all citizens empathetic to the cause of our girls to hold them and their parents in prayers, and commit to joining our march to the Villa in the coming week.
“Our government, and the world, cannot continue to fail these innocent young women whose only crime is their decision to be educated. If we do, we would have failed to defend our civilization and shared humanity.”